A.SK Social Science Award Ceremony
Endowed with a prize of $ 200,000, the A.SK Social Science Award is one of the most prestigious distinctions in the social sciences. The 2021 award recipient is James C. Scott, Sterling Professor of Political Science and Professor of Anthropology at Yale University. He receives the award for his life-long research on agrarian societies and the importance of place and environment in relation to politics and social organization. His analysis of the limits of state planning led him to be an advocate of the possibilities of “not being governed”, of the capacity of people to govern themselves in local communities. Through his work, James Scott has become one of the most influential social scientists of the last 50 years.
6.00 - 7.00 pm: Reception
7.00 - 8.30 pm: Award Ceremony
- Welcome by Jutta Allmendinger, WZB President
- Address by Alex Chen, A.SK Council Speaker
- Laudation by Carola Lentz, Professor of anthropology at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz and President of Goethe-Institut Germany
- Award presentation by Dorothea Kübler, Head of the A.SK Commission and WZB Director
- Acceptance speech by James C. Scott, A.SK Award winner 2021
Music by Kenneth Berkel, piano
Please note that the event will be held in English; there will be no translation into German.
The event will be organized in strict accordance with Berlin’s pandemic-related regulations. Please accept that only vaccinated or recovered persons can participate in the event (“2 G rule”; this includes that we may only accept the vaccines approved for use in Germany). Please present your certificate at the registration desk in the WZB.
The ceremony will be streamed on WZBlive.